Friday, November 20, 2009

Better Late Than Never. I Hope.

At 33 years of age, I still haven't managed to shake the ghosts of my childhood and adolescence. I'm typically able to will myself into denial, but every once in a while - quite often at the worst possible time - they show up to haunt me.

I've been medicated for depression and anxiety, yet have never had proper therapy - but medication can only go so far when one is actively avoiding the issues necessitating said medication.

I've never had insurance that covers more than twenty mental health visits per year. I've been putting off going to therapy because I can't afford to pay out of pocket (and really, who can?).

I've been afraid that I'd start therapy and find it incredibly helpful, only to have it cruelly yanked out from underneath me after visit number twenty.

Thank god for the Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 - as of January 1st, 2010, I can have all the therapy I want.

The search for peace starts here. Starts now.

Let's hope it's not too late - for me, for my health, for my marriage, for my career, for my ability to have children. Please let it not be too late.

No comments: